So I am putting up something old, something new, that has nothing to do with BP High School Class of '74 but related to the era. Hopefully, you guys/gals will also post something about yourselves so that I can get to know you, as a person, more.
I cooked some herbal soup the other day, not any herbal soup but one that my mum used to make for us. It is 老熟地 lao3 shu2 di4 (Prepared Rehmannia Root) with duck. The prepared root was made by my mum in 1973. You can buy the prepared root from Chinese medical halls but those are usually 3-5 years old.
To prepare the root from its raw tuber form, you have to steam cook it with Chinese wine and then sun-dry it and cycle is repeated nine times. The longer it is stored, the better the potency. I used to have some left over from the days of my maternal grandma which were more than 60 years old.
Here's what the root look like.

You also need to add in some ginseng roots (洋参须)

Place the ginseng roots into herb-bags for easy removal

The end result is a mildly sweet soup that tonifies yin, blood deficiencies and replenishes the liver and kidney yin – good for both men & women alike.

Here's a picture of my stock of 老熟地

6 comments:
I am happy to share full recipe if anyone wants it. You can also substitute black chicken for the duck.
Hi Gee Sing:
The 老熟地 lao3 shu2 di4 looks really interesting. I see its labled 1973 no less (when we were in Lower 6...is that the connection for posting this here or is it happenstance? :-)
I am not too familiar with chinese herbs but do like them so would be interested in recipe.
BTW I had the HARDEST time trying to recognize YOU from the reunion photos. Just give me a shock to read Lee Too's caption that that is you!
PS: Liked your cool profile pic, :-). Is it called the G Man Gallery"? ;-)
Hey Scooby Doo (I couldn't resist this, it's been 30+ years LOL!). How's life on the Islands? When will you be back for vacation?
I will email the recipe to you seperately.
How we have all change our looks. All the youthfulness is now replaced by "chipmunk pouches" & "triple chins". :-(
My profile pic effect is "Warhol"
wow! warhol! can you do for me Mona Lisa or Marilynn Monroe or whatever it is called?
ha ha ha!! soo boo is right, gee sing. That night, I wanted to confront you,"who are you?" but I daren't!! Then when someone called u "gee sing" I was like.....speechless!!!
Soo Boo, come back lah, for a mini reunion....I will arrange it for you!
Soo Boo - Hah ! GS finally got it off this chest! He has been enquiring of "Scooby Doo"'s whereabout that night. Wonder how many of us has nicknames from him?
Hey Gee Sing:
Hahaha!...hearing you say Scooby Dooby Doo again after all these years means you haven't changed one bit, for all the triple chins and chipmunk pouches you've claimed to have grown-I love it! ;-). How's life in the islands, you ask? Beautiful day everyday but unfortunately most times too busy working to notice it (one day I will post a pic on this blog). Need to slow down and "smell the roses".
Mee Kuen: thanks for offering to do me a mini-reunion if I come back :-). Wish I can just say yes and join you folks within a couple of hrs but unfortunately 2,500 miles of Pacific separates this tiny rock from any other piece of land.
Lee Too: On your question above...he'll have to find out ;-).
Post a Comment